You might be thinking, “Really? Dryer sheets? I didn’t even know there was a top 5!” If you use dryer sheets (there are several natureal and cheap alternatives to using dryer sheets), pay close attention to the following list. These ideas show you how to make your dryer sheet do double duty while saving money on items like pricey cleaning supplies.
- 1. Freshen up. (scented) Used dryer sheets have enough fragrance left to keep working for other purposes. Place them in drawers, closets, at the bottom of a trash bin, in shoes. They can also get rid of the old musty book smell. Place the book in a Ziploc-type bag with a used dryer sheet, let it sit for a couple of days and the smell will be gone. Has Fido made your car smell funky? Place a handful of used dryer sheets under your seats to remove stale vehicle odors.
- 2. Repellant. (scented) Most pests, mice and insects, hate the smell of dryer sheets. To keep the mice out, figure out where they’re coming into your house and stuff the hole with a few used sheets. Same goes for bees, wasps and spiders. Repel mosquitos by sticking a used sheet through your belt loop, under your collar or in your pocket.
- 3. Dusting. The anti-static chemicals in dryer sheets actually help to repel dust. Use an old dryer sheet for dusting off your TV, computer screen, wooden furniture, window blinds or eyeglass lenses (NOT recommended for plastic lenses).
- 4. Polishing. An old dryer sheet works wonders with chrome. Use to polish up faucets and the chrome on your vehicle.
- 5. Gardening. When potting a plant, line the bottom of your pot with a dryer sheet to prevent the soil from falling through.
- 6. Cleaning. Reuse a dryer sheet to wipe clean a pair of scissor blades, clean soap scum off of a shower door (wet it first) remove stuck-on bugs from your car’s windshield, or soak a couple of dryer sheets in a dirty pot/pan filled with water to remove the gunk.
- 7.Removing pet hair. Similar to a sticky lint brush, an old dryer sheet will remove pet hair from clothing and furniture.
- 8. Laundry. When you pull your clothes out of the dryer, pull the used sheet out and clean the lint trap in your dryer.
- 9. Sewing. Run your needle through a used dryer sheet so that the thread won’t tangle when you sew.